Tuesday 11 June 2013

I Love Children, I Live And Breathe Everything Children- Onyinye Nana Igwe

Onyinye Nana Igwe currently works with 92.3 Inspiration FM but went on a self imposed hiatus in 2009 after hosting the Future Awards alongside Darey Art Alade.  Subsequently she stayed back at Soundcity and Spice TV for a couple more years working as a Senior Producer and Creative Director.

She is back as an OAP with Inspiration FM and making waves again. In this no holds bared Interview with Stella Dimokokorkus, Onyinye who now goes by the name Nana King tells us why she 'ran' and why she is back. Click below to read her interesting interview.

Where have you been?

Around.out and about. Living life beautifully albeit privately.

In 2009 you hosted the Future Awards alongside Darey Art Alade. Right after that, you completely disappeared just when your name and beautiful face was starting to get out there. Why?

A lot of people found it difficult to comprehend the fact that I was and still am media shy. I hate undue publicity. I'm an extremely private person. No one knows anything about me. And I want it to stay that way. So when the Future Awards hosting gig came up in 2009, I felt blessed But at the same time, I did it for the fun of it. The number of media offers I got after hosting the awards was quite shocking. Overwhelming, I tell you. I wasn't prepared for it at all. I wanted to be behind the cameras, not in front of it.


Between 2009 and 2013, it's been 4 years. Where have you been, what have you been doing and Why did you decide to resurface?

Resurface? I was never completely away. I was just behind the cameras working passionately but quietly as a Producer and Creative Director in and outside Nigeria. The only difference now is that recently, Inspiration FM offered me an Afternoon time slot on Radio. Obviously I can't hide anymore because people are gradually starting to put a face to the voice they hear on radio everyday.

You  say you are a very private person?what have you been up to privately?

oh dear! (Pauses - Takes deep breath - giggles)
Well, I've only told two people about this, so I guess I can share it with you. But you must pinky swear you won't tell anyone (Laughs).
I recently adopted a little girl. She's my heart beat. She's my joy, she's the very essence of my being. Every time I hold her in my arms, she gives me the strength to live and fight through my struggles. I'm not married and I still live in my family home. So I can't take my baby out of the orphanage and bring her home with me. So instead of a full adoption, I opted for a virtual adoption. Which means I get to play mummy to her everyday and care for her financially whilst still in the guardianship of the orphanage matrons.

WHY ADOPTION? Most married couples struggling to have kids haven't considered adoption. Why a single unmarried girl?

I love children. I live and breathe everything children. I've been a junior church worker since I was 18. I'm a Sunday School Teacher in church. I teach the toddlers class (laughs). On weekday evenings or weekends, I go to the orphanage to play with the kids. Every time I leave the orphanage to go home, I always feel burdened. I always wish I can take all of them home with me.

Have you considered what your future husband might think about this?

My man has to be a lover of children because I would love to have 5 kids in total - 3 biological and 2 adopted or 2 biological and 3 adopted - depending on what my body permits (laughs). But if my man is generous enough to let me bring home more babies, trust me, I'm going all out! I'm adopting an entire continent.

You used to go by your Ibo name Onyinye Igwe. Where did Nana King come from?

Nana is a pet name I got when I was a baby. I've been called Nana all my life by friends, family, everyone. My last name when translated to english, means King. I sincerely did try to revert to my Ibo name. But it was a bit of a drag trying to get people to call me Onyinye as opposed to the Nana they'd been used to calling me. On the name thing, I just couldn't win (Laughs)

You talk with so much strenght and confidence.Have you always been like this?

NO because, It took a certain degree of pain in my life, to find my feet and understand my purpose on earth. Way back when; I used to think I knew it all. Fast forward today, I realize I was pretty much clueless. Now I know better, so I act wisely.

How would you describe yourself

I'm a happy, bubbly, go-lucky kid who believes Life is for the living. I want to live, I want to love, I want to laugh. I'm completely oblivious and mute to negativity. Right now I'm all about embracing positive people who bring forth positive words into my life.

Final words for ur fans

Hugs and Kisses to you, my booboos!

No comments:

Post a Comment