Thursday 26 September 2013

ASUU Strike: We Are Tired Of Staying At Home – Students



image
With no end in sight to the over two months old strike embarked upon by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), some Nigerian students spoke to The Nation on the effect of the strike and why the Federal Government should respond to the demands of ASUU with a view to making them return to the classroom.
Lekan Aluko, 300 Level, Microbiology (OAU)
My stay at home has been a terrible experience for me. While in school, I used to do some business like download of android games and sell to some interested students but that cannot work here. Instead, I walk around hopelessly not doing anything.
Chidinma Maduka, 100 Level, Culture and Tourism (UNIPORT)
The strike has been good and bad in several ways. The good effect of the strike is the opportunity I have to eat my mother’s food. This has made me gain more weight than I used to be. Another good effect is the fact that I have more time to sleep, think, learn some skills and continue writing my yet to be published book.
On the other hand, I should have rounded off my second semester examinations by now. Also, my modeling contract which was to start by July could not happen as the strike aborted it and no hope in sight.
Tolulope Owokade, 200 level, International Relations (OAU)
In fact, I am looking for a job to keep me from walking about aimlessly on the streets. When I was in school, I sell female wears, shower caps and undies and others as a source of generating income, but now I can’t do any of such here and hope of making money is not there at all. All I can do is to manage the little stipend I get from my parents.
Akhigbe Paul (UNIBEN)
I was in support of the strike, but now, I am no more in support of it. The strike has affected me negatively. There are a lot of things I should have done in school. The federal government should listen to what ASUU is demanding. After heeding to their request, the government should monitor everything ASUU does with the money and make sure they put in place everything they promised, like the infrastructure.
Naomi Olamakinde, 300 level, Economics (UNILAG)
This current ASUU Strike has provided me the opportunity to read at my own pace. I have also had the time to attend other programmes.
Abiodun Aderibigbe (FUTA)
The strike has affected me greatly, but I am in support of it, they have to fight for their right and we have to take it in good faith. Though I am not happy staying at home, but I am in support of it because these people have been working, they should be rewarded.
Uthman Bello, 200 level, Chemistry, University of Ibadan
This strike has brought boredom and idleness. I’ve forgotten many things we did within 3 week.
Olayinka Abdul (UNAB)
It has affected me negatively, it has really prolonged the period I am to use in school. I hope they can suspend the strike by reaching an agreement with ASUU soon, so that we can get back to our various schools.
Adeyemo Adeleye, 200 level, Mass Communication, (UNILAG)
The realization that this strike is still on seems to me that the authorities that are in power are not doing anything to avert this crisis. It has affected almost all undergraduates in a similar way. Academic situation in our tertiary institutions are grounded. This is sad.
Joel Otuyelu (UNILAG)
This strike has affected me positively; I have time to put some things in place.
Ihunanya Erondu, 300 level, (UNIPORT)
I hate staying at home. This strike has kept me at home against my own wish. I want the strike to be called off immediately.
Osatohanmhen Eghonghon Odigwe, (UNILAG)I just feel that the government does not truly see us as very important to the economy. I believe a better way can be used by ASUU to achieve their demands. With the way ASUU is pursuing our interest I’m not sure this is the best way.

No comments:

Post a Comment