Tuesday 4 June 2013

Surround me with champions or I'm off, says Arsenal Defender Koscielny

Laurent Koscielny has rocked Arsenal by demanding Arsene Wenger shows ambition in the transfer market this summer or he will look to leave the club. The centre back has had his best season at the Emirates since arriving from Lorient in 2010, and Bayern Munich had earlier been reported as a possible destination, with the European champions rumoured to be lining up a £15million bid. Koscielny said he is enjoying life in north London, but became the latest in a long line of Arsenal stars to challenge the club to mount a more meaningful challenge for honours. 'I want to lift trophies and to have a winning record. I hope the club will give me the means. If this weren’t the case, I’d look elsewhere,' the France defender told Eurosport. 'I want to win titles and I hope the club has the means. It deserves it. Does the club want to keep me? That question is also there.' Koscielny, 27, has cemented a place in the Arsenal first-team, forming a formidable partnership with Per Mertesacker and key was to the Gunners' 10-match unbeaten run which saw them claim the final Champions League qualification spot. 'I feel good at Arsenal. I’ve just come to the end of a complicated season, especially the first six months, but it’s over now,' he added. 'If the club has the means to compete with the best, I have no reason to leave. But if it fights every year for Champions League it’s hard psychologically to be under such constant pressure. 'I do not want to go anywhere. Of course I want to know another championship, but it’s complicated.' The words, said before France's clash with Uruguay, will be a blow to Arsenal fans, who have seen Robin van Persie, Alex Song, Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri leave in the last two summers, all highlighting the club's lack of ambition.

No comments:

Post a Comment